Deep Fried Chicken reminds me of my childhood. After school, I’d smell a scent of heaven on the way home… There was a vendor selling deep-fried wings & meat-on-a-stick on the side walk!
And almost every time I’d stop by to treat myself with wings & sticky rice… It was my favorite part of the day. And it IS a family’s favorite meal nowadays!
I’ve discovered the recipe that gives exactly the same taste from “that vendor”. In my opinion, this recipe is better than kfc… But don’t believe me until you’ve tried it! 😉
a whole chicken (cut up or 4lbs chicken thighs)
3 tsp knorr chicken powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 large egg
- Step One – Combine all of the marinating ingredients into the chicken bowl, excludes egg. Mix them well together. Cover and let the chicken marinate in refrigerator for at least 15 – 30 min.
Flour batter Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp knorr chicken powder
1 tsp paprika
- Step Two – Mix all flour batter well together in a large container with lid or a big Ziploc bag.
- Step Three – Start Cooking.
1. At medium high heat, add vegetable oil into a deep fry pan. Make sure you have enough oil to cover the chicken when fry. Wait until the oil is hot.
Tip: Check deep fry oil temp by spring a pinch of bread crumbs into the oil. If it takes 60 seconds to brown, then the oil is ready (or at 365˚f).
2. Add the egg into the marinated chicken bowl and mix well together.
3. Add 5 – 6 pieces of chicken at a time into the flour batter container.
4. Put the lid on and shake it up!
5. Gently place the chicken into the oil (fry 5 -6 pieces of chicken at a time).
6. Occasionally turn the chicken. Make sure all sides are fried and golden brown (check internal temp 165˚f).
7. Rest the chicken on a tray with paper towel 5 min before serve.
8. Eat with sticky rice or serve it as a “khao man gai” dish! (follow the recipe this way)