Tom Yum (or spicy and sour soup) is one of the most popular dishes in Thailand. This soup is spicy, sweet & sour all in one! It is so tasty that you will feel the flavors explode inside your mouth in every bite. Perfect with either chicken or seafood. Complete the dish with jasmine rice and a couple glasses of water or milk (to cool you down 😉 )
Prep. 10 min + cook 10 min >> total 20 min >> 3 – 4 servings
4 cups water (or chicken broth)
1 tbsp Knorr (not needed if use chicken broth)
1 tsp salt
2 stalks lemongrass (1” sliced and crushed)
4 kaffir leaves
4 slices galangal (1/3” sliced)
1 – 2 chili peppers (cut 45° angle in half)
1/4 white onion (quartered)
*You can buy “Tom-Yum package” that includes lemongrass, kaffir leaves, galangal and chili pepper at Superstore or any Asian supermarket (frozen section).
2 chicken breasts (1 x 1” cut, or seafood if you’d like)
6 – 8 fresh mushroom (1/3” sliced)
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup mix diced green onion & cilantro
1. At high heat, add water into a pot. Follow with knorr, salt, lemongrass, kaffir leaves, galangal, onion and chili peppers.
*Tip: Add chili pepper small amount at a time. You can always add more at the end of cooking if you’d like the soup very spicy!
2. Cover the pot. Let it boil for 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken (or seafood). Stir and wait until chicken (or seafood) is almost fully cooked.
4. Add chili paste, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Stir and wait until the soup starts to boil.
5. Turn the heat down to low. Add mushroom and evaporated milk and stir.
6. Add diced green onion & cilantro. Cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Serve with Jasmine rice to complete the dish.